- Our terrapins are growing quickly, and SoundWaters is planning and preparing for their next stages. Eventually, they...more
- SoundGeneration, SoundWaters teen action team, put on a very successful event last night at the SoundWaters Center....more
- Our terrapins have been growing quickly and have now graduated from their nurseries to larger habitats! Their...more
- Join Sound Generation - the SoundWaters Tean Action Team today, 1/22 from 4:30-6:30pm to...more
- SoundWaters Education team hits the conference circuit once again! The education team along with 105 environmental educators from New...more
This morning Jimmy Stuart, SoundWaters Board Member, received the Outstanding Volunteer Leadership Award from the Stamford Volunteer...
- Now that the terrapins have settled into their new home at SoundWaters, they’ve been growing rapidly! We’ve...more
- While in Anchorage, six of the terrapins were treated for minor bacterial shell infections. We are carefully...more
- If you guessed a bunch of things, you’re right. Specifically, they eat fish, snails, worms, clams, crabs...more
- The hatchlings are acclimating well to life at the Coastal Education Center; they are strong swimmers and...more
- So happy to share the great news that the Terrapins flew in from Anchorage this afternoon and...more
- Shop & Support SoundWaters at Vineyard Vines Greenwich (145 Greenwich Ave, Greenwich CT) on Wednesday, December 17...more
- SoundWaters, headquartered in Stamford is expecting delivery Wednesday of 25 diamondback terrapin hatchlings seized when U.S. customs...more
- Last month we showcased the spider crabs and their molts. This month we have a whole new...more
- Our SoundKids are at it again! Our little scientists have created a mural for their classrooms to...more
- Franklin Commons Pre-School students learned all about the world of seastars, bivalves, and univalves yesterday! What is a univalve...more
- The SoundWaters' education team set off to expand our knowledge yesterday! Three educators attended the 14th Flatfish Biology...more
- The students, or should I say ecologists, at Hart Elementary School just learned all about the deciduous forest....more
- SoundKids are making new discoveries! Maple Avenue Pre-School children learned all about our favorite Diamond Back Terrapin,...more
- Do you know what the word brackish means? The preschoolers of Stamford do! This week SoundKids have started...more
- The Schooner frame cover was completed on Friday. [gallery link="file"] ...more
- A special thanks to the 25 volunteers from Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide who made a difference at SoundWaters...more
- The spider crabs are molting in the SoundWaters aquarium! Spider crabs contain an exoskeleton that protects them from...more
- With the mast's pulled yesterday, the schooner SoundWaters was hauled out of the water today capping off...more
- We had a great Science on the Sound Sail with the students from the Cathedral Academy in...more
- Rippowam Middle School of Stamford, Connecticut paid a visit to SoundWaters for a day of exploring and...more
- We picked up not 1 but 2 large tautog in the trawl today with the students from...more
- 83 volunteers picked up a total of 229 pounds of trash during yesterday's Coastal Cleanup at SoundWaters....more
- Join SoundWaters and 640,000 volunteer world-wide who are participating in International Coastal Clean-up events throughout the world....more
- Join SoundWaters at Sign of the Whale in Harbor Point on Thursday, October 2 from 5:30pm -...more
- The Stamford Hurricane Gate will be closed for an extended period of time while they do maintenance....more
- The schooner SoundWaters is headed in the East Branch of Stamford Harbor past the Hurricane Barrier. We...moreThe crew had an early morning start today to catch the fair tide through Plum Gut and...moreDon't miss this fascinating program on Adriaen Block and the discovery and history of Long Island Sound,...moreMake the summer last. Sat. Aug. 23 is the final opportunity to canoe on Holly Pond. SoundWaters...moreSailing through Gardiners Bay, bound for Greenport NY. We are having a great sail past Bug Light....moreAfter a successful Milford Oyster Festival the Captain and Crew are enjoying a great sail to Old...moreCamp SoundWaters campers were hard at work this week as Mad Scientists! 17 egg nests were built...moreMilford Parks and Recs having a great time aboard the Schooner SoundWaters....moreThe Crew and Captain of the schooner SoundWaters are enjoying the start of the "Schooner East 2014...moreSTEM Academy students wore waders and life jackets and fished for animals in the intertidal zone as...moreEvery Saturday through Aug. 23, SoundWaters is leading guided canoe tours on Holly Pond at Cove Island...moreAboard the schooner, students set the sails, performed a plankton population study, identified benthic animal adaptations, measured...moreEvery Saturday through Aug. 23, SoundWaters is leading guided canoe tours on Holly Pond at Cove Island...moreThe campers from Cold Spring Harbor Boat club had a great trawl today. Not only did they...moreWe have two great ways for you to get on the water this weekend! Join us for...moreSoundWaters STEM Academy participants began their hydroponics experiment today! Students discussed alternative ways to grow plants and...moremore
Many thank to our terrific community partners at...The Salem Elementary students from Port Washington are treated to a sure sign of summer when they...moreWe're enjoying a wonderful sail out of Oyster Bay. We were making 4 knots down wind when...moremore
Set sail with Camp SoundWaters!
Sign up to be a sailor! We're ready for...Many thanks to over 200 volunteers who showed up in force at SoundWaters Make a Difference Day on Saturday,...moreAnother great trawl the students picked up 9 spider crab. Winter, summer and windowpane flounder, mummychug and...moreDiscover Long Island Sound with friends and families and earn community service hours. Saturday, May 17, 10...moreStudents from Jefferson Science Magnet School measuring two horseshoe crabs picked up on today's trawl....moremore
EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNT
WEDNESDAY APRIL 30,...more
Early Registration Discount is ending on April 30th!
Sessions are filling quickly. Take advantage...Our Science Stars sailed aboard the schooner SoundWaters for the first STEM sail of the 2014 season!...moreThe crew had a nice first trawl of the season. We picked up 5 spider crabs, a...moremore
1. We're awesome & we know how to have fun!
2. We have new,...Not an April fools joke. We are enjoying a lovely training sail off of Stamford harbor....more
We are going to kick off spring...Sailing Season 2014 has officially started! The sun is shining and...moremore
Calling all Sailors!
Camp SoundWaters is ready to bring our Opti & Pico campers...With the first full day of spring and the temperature warm enough to paint the 2014 schooner...moreWinter break held special meaning for 60 girls in grades 3 - 7, who analyzed fish respiration,...moremore
Join us for new destination adventures, new sailing games, and a great time with new...more
At Camp SoundWaters, we value our team!
Our amazing staff return every summer! They...
This summer, Camp SoundWaters is introducing the moreSoundWaters raised the expectations for sixty girls in grades 3 through 7 who traded in their winter...moreFor those who wonder what Captain Justin Cathcart does in the winter, just take a look. He...moreSoundWaters is starting up our 6 session in-school program with Childcare Learning Centers of Stamford. This morning...moremore
Camp SoundWaters is more then just a camp, it's an adventure every day!
We...More than 26,000 students had the opportunity this past year to be outside, to connect to their...moreMore than 26,000 students had the opportunity this past year to be outside, to connect to their...moreThank you everyone who attended the Camp Reunion! It was wonderful seeing our campers, their families, and...moreStamford sixth grade science sleuths use their knowledge of the Long Island Sound watershed to figure out the source of several ...moreThese preschoolers could tell you all about the horseshoe crab! Every year the SoundWaters team is fortunate to...moreWhat do all of these have in common? They are topics that our SoundGeneration High School team...moreHelp support SoundWaters Hands-on Environmental Science Programs.Every gift makes a difference. Here are some examples of what...moreDid you know that fish are so efficient at extracting oxygen from water, that they can uptake...moremore
Happy Holidays!Camp SoundWaters is an amazing opportunity for children all over Connecticut. We are more then just...Holiday Wishes from SoundWaters! Please join your neighbors and friends in supportingSoundWaters by making your gift to the...moreThe schooner SoundWaters is currently accepting applications for Deckhand / Educators for the 2014 sailing season. If...moreHey Campers! Can you guess the salinity and temperature of Holly Pond? Heading into colder, snowy months
December 2013: SoundGeneration – High school students create their own approach to protecting Long Island SoundEach week, the Coastal Center is abuzz with the activities of SoundGeneration, a network of high school...moreIn the midst of a mayoral campaign crowded with debates on numerous topics, the environment took center...moreThis summer, more than 350 campers explored, examined, investigated and discovered the habitats, marine animals and waters...moreEvery Spring and Summer SoundWaters benefits from the generosity of volunteer groups who lend us time, energy...moreThanks to everyone to came to the SoundWaters Annual Meeting on November 19, 2013. A standing room...moreThanks to everyone that participated in making the 2013 schooner SoundWaters sailing season great....moreSoundWaters is excited to present the 2013-2014 SoundGeneration Team! SoundGeneration is a program for high school students...moreThe crew have been busy for the past several days prepping the green topsides of the schooner...moreSoundWaters students perform a population study of local crab species at the rocky shore. Working together gathering data,...moreThe Schooner SoundWaters was hauled out of the water today and the 2013 sailing season has officially...moreThe crew of the schooner SoundWaters down rigged the entire vessel today. The sails were unbent, the...moreWhat do you think these students are learning today? At SoundWaters, STEM is a constant component that...moreThe public is invited to join SoundWaters and UCONN Stamford, who are hosting a debate on environmental...moreStudents from FCDS get a fish eye view of what it would be like to swim through...moreThanks to the mild Fall weather, SoundWaters students are still catching juvenile creatures while seining in Long...moreNow this one fits! This green crab molted its shell in less than one hour! Can you...moreHow do you grow when you have a shell on the outside of your body? Students from...moreSoundWaters Board Member, John Baxter was recognized today by the Volunteer Center of Southwestern Fairfield County with...moreOur hats off to more than 50 teens, adults and families who made a difference on Saturday,...moreStudents from Half Hollow High School are lowering LaMotte bottles over the side of the vessel to...moreAsk any of the students from The Hewitt School. Guided by SoundWaters educators, these high school students...moreHave you been meaning to come sailing with SoundWaters all summer and just haven't made it out...moreSound Adaptations: Regional Responses to a Post-Sandy World. Mark your calendars and register today for SoundWaters upcoming...moreThe SoundWaters Coastal Center is shored up and ready for a busy fall schedule. Contractors inside and...moreAfter spending most of August visiting ports on the eastern end of Long Island Sound, the schooner...moreThe crew noticed a feathery friend following us as we begin working our way westward. The little...moreAll in a days work for the 6th grade Stamford Public Schools science teachers during their professional...moreAll 6th grade science teachers from Stamford Public Schools actively engaged in a full day of field...moreThe crew of the Schooner SoundWaters had an early morning wake up (0400) to catch slack water...moreWe had a great sail with Old Saybrook Youth and Family Services this afternoon....moreOutdoor fun and exploration in the salty air! Campers at Camp SoundWaters are relishing every minute of...moreThe Schooner is making good time east bound towards Saybrook. In fact we are making such good...moreHelp SoundWaters introduce the animals and ecology of Long Island Sound to adults and children at environmental...moreA great combination of engineering, teamwork, design, buoyancy and fun made for a wonderful Anything That Floats...moreAfter several days in Bridgeport the schooner SoundWaters is heading to Milford for this weekends Milford...moreWhat a great day of friendly competition here at SoundWaters! This weeks session was geared towards our...moreOn the last day of this session, Pico sailors get to show off all of their new...moreThe Schooner SoundWaters crew noticed a large bouquet of balloons during our transit from Port Jefferson to...more1st mate Josh is showing the crew how to look up the tides and currents in Eldridge...moreThe Schooner SoundWaters is headed east! We are currently enjoying a nice close reach sail from Stamford...moreIt's that time of year again! SoundWaters campers prepare for the anything that floats session! Today campers...moreWhat a fun filled pirate day here at Camp Sound Waters! By exploring and uncovering clues, these...moreThe creative energy is flowing at Camp SoundWaters! These campers work together and create a pirate theme...moreCooperative and hands on learning are some of the many teaching styles here at SoundWaters! By using...moreBluefish campers enjoy the day partaking in a special type of fishing, called seining! Using seine nets...moreSea Star campers are taking a break from the heat! Using their knowledge and creative skills, these...moreChester Addison and NEON students actively participate in testing the water quality of Long Island Sound. Using...morePico sailors learn how to navigate the waters of Long Island Sound! No landlubber talk here, these...moreSea Star campers explore, collect, and identify the different animals of the Rocky Intertidal Zone! What a...moreOpti sailors venture out onto Holly Pond for some new and exciting voyages! Tack or jibe, they...moreSoundWaters bluefish campers discover a horseshoe crab during their sandcastle competition! Come join us to have fun...moreFollow research protocol to measure, tag, and count horseshoe crabs on local beaches! At SoundWaters this year,...moreCampers from the Chester Addison community center and #teamdomus are helping set sail on the Schooner SoundWaters....moreThe summer campers from the Cardinal Shehan and McGivney Community centers are working together on the schooner...morePicos sailed on a beam reach as the fog rolled in over Long Island Sound. One camper...moreSoundWaters participated in the Greenwich Shellfish Commission’s annual event, Experience the Sound, on Sunday at Greenwich Point. ...moreYou know it's summer when Camp SoundWaters starts! When asked what had been her favorite part...moreOn July 20, over 30 Tronox employees got their hands dirty at the Coastal Education Center. Continuing...moreTwenty volunteers from O'Connor Davies accounting firm fanned across Cove Island Park to remove trash and debris...moreStudents from Ogden Elementary School learn about form and function and animal adaptations at the benthic station...moreJune 27, 2013, Noon - 1:30 pm Topic: Priorities at the CT Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection:...moreRegistration for camp SoundWaters still open. We have programs for kids from pre-K to 8th graders. Experienced...moreIt might be hot in the city but the 4th grade students from Solomon Schechter are staying...moreThe students from Parkway Elementary School picked up this "lightly used" bilge pump covered in barnacles in...moreJoin the fun from noon – 4 pm every Saturday at the SoundWaters Coastal Center at Cove...moreThe Junior Crew from Rogers brought in a great haul today while trawling: 8 spider crabs, several...moreOur Junior Crew from Rogers Middle school are learning the art of Navigation. Hopefully they will be...moreToday the Jr crew are taking a trick at the helm. Each middle school student will steer...moreStudents from Rogers Middle school are learning the ropes as they become Junior Crew on the Schooner...moreAt Rye Country Day School studying Long Island Sound is the highlight of the second grade curriculum. ...moreThe crew are enjoying a delightful transit to Mamaroneck NY this afternoon. Come on down and visit...moreLast summer our Opti campers found horseshoe crabs while sailing out in Holly...moreJust ask any of the students in the Coastal Science Investigation program!
moreThe wind and rain did not stop the Kindergarten class from their SoundWaters field science study program...moreSea Star campers had so much fun with their counselors last summer learning...moreBluefish campers had an amazing time fishing last summer. Together they collected fish,...moreLet’s go Sea Stars! Our annual Anything That Floats Race...moreThe new crew of the Schooner SoundWaters is taking advantage of the nicer weather for training sails. moreEighth grade students from Rippowam bundle up for a day in the field at the Mianus River. Students...moreWhile it may not like feel like it - spring is here! The schooner crew arrived...moreBluefish campers navigated throughout Holly Pond to reach a secret destination. Come back...moreYou are invited to attend SoundWaters upcoming Business & Environment Programs. March 25, Clean Energy Incentives,...moreSeparating ink colors through chromatography experiments, testing water samples from Holly Pond, dissecting squid and learning alongside...moreSoundWaters educators shared teaching methods with other environmental education groups at the 3rd Annual REED ("Regional Environmental...moreSoundWaters educators took our acclaimed coastal education program eastward, bringing marine science experiments and live animals to...moreAs SoundWaters and the region continue to dig out from Hurricane Sandy, we are especially fortunate to...morePico sailors will have a blast swimming in Long Island Sound. Sailing on...moreWho thinks they can do it?? Last summer our sailors were tested on...moreRemember how much fun you had rafting up your canoe next to all...moreWhat do you get when you combine 5 full days, 78 girls, Long Island Sound animals, Science...moreScience Stars use CSI methods such as fingerprinting, blood typing, and chromotography to solve a mock crime...moreTo all our sea star campers out there, we are ready for new...moreRemember how much fun you had learning to sail a Pico? Together this...moreWe are ready for all you Bluefish out there. Remember those hot summer...moreWe’re back and it’s going to be better then ever! Camp SoundWaters 2013 moreOur SoundWaters aquarium presented us with a cool surprise this morning. After a double take we realized...moreIf you ask any 8th grader of Dolan or TOR Middle School, they can tell you! ...moreSixth graders at King Low Heywood Thomas start the year with a classroom visit from SoundWaters. Students...morePublic & Private Partnerships: A case study of Greenwich community gardens and historic buildings. For information and...more...moreA big thanks for Norm Bloom for supplying some new additions to the SoundWaters aquarium, including this...moreThis week Hart Elementary School students wrapped up their SoundWaters after school Discovery Team program with a...moreEvery 6th grade student at King Low Heywood Thomas is engaged in a rigorous, hands-on year long environmental...moreSoundKids students determine which objects are living or non-living, sink or float and what form and function...moreGreat day in the field! SoundWaters educators led every 7th grade Old Saybrook Middle School student through...moreA heartfelt thanks goes out to the captain and crew of the schooner SoundWaters for another successful...moreBusiness & Environment Lunch Series: Creating sustainable communities. Click here. ...moreStill digging out from Sandy. Good news is that everyone is safe and...moreA little rain won't dampen the Flood Middle school students spirits!...moreSoundWaters educators headed to Bridgeport for a program with St. Augustine middle school students at Seaside Park....moreWesthill High school students compared benthic mud samples from...moreHave you ever found what you thought was a dead crab on the...moreWe also caught a puffer fish, a horseshoe crab and a bunch of scup. Not too shabby...more
Cookie Thomas, a favorite among SoundWaters audiences and one of the region's most well-known
moreThis evening's inclement weather did not keep us grounded as we learned about sustainable air travel. Special...moreThe juniors from Bethel High School NAVY JROTC program came aboard today and learned to set and...moreThe SoundWaters Educators spent the morning prepping our fleet of Optis for a fall sail! ...moreJoin us for a Business&Environment seminar on "Sustainable Flights for the Future" at UBS on Oct 4th...moreWe had an afternoon team building program aboard the Schooner SoundWaters with the 5th graders from Waterside...moreThe 4th graders from Waterside school came aboard the schooner SoundWaters to sharpen their team building skills....moreRain or shine SoundWaters educators were determined to successfully complete their canoe certification for summer camp. In and...moreAfter the weekend, all of the animals in the SoundWaters aquarium are ready to eat! Today one...moreSoundWaters has quite the Horseshoe Crab nursery going on in our aquarium. In addition to our...moreWe had a “Mantastic” trawl today picking up 15 large Mantis shrimp while trawling in Oyster Bay....moreSoundWaters preschool program, SoundKids focused on hermit and spider crabs this week including experiments on adaptations. These...moreOn our way to Oyster Bay with some passing showers headed our way....moreOur interns started their semester off well! After school, they immediately got to work. Some of their...moreThe SoundWaters team had a very successful day of fishing and seining with the entire 6th grade...moreFourth graders from Rogers International School have spent the last two afternoons on the Schooner SoundWaters learning...moreHere at SoundWaters, the educators were feeling curious about how the animals of...moreVolunteers from Nestlé Waters Accounting Department painted 12 rocking chairs, scrubbed 13 tables, 55 chairs and 12...moremore
Be sure and visit SoundWaters at the Live Green family festival at Taylor Farm near...This morning's trawl brought up some great benthic organisms as well as a child's plastic watering can....moreIn addition to catching 4 summer flounder, 3 searobins, a bunch of little scup, a blue crab...moreThere are lots of new things happening at the SoundWaters aquarium. We have tanks filled with new,...moremore
SoundWaters terrapin, horseshoe crab, hermit crabs, mussels and oysters captured...Nearly 4,000 children and adults of all ages visited the SoundWaters booth at area festivals this fall,...moreTouch a terrapin or horseshoe crab when you visit the SoundWaters booth in the Oyster Pavilion at...moreSome students faced a chalkboard, but others learned amid the waves and wonder of Long Island Sound....moreAfter a very successful and fun Summer Camp, the SoundWaters team reunites. Let the semi- annual aquarium...moreThe schooner SoundWaters is getting underway early this morning. We are timing the slack water at Plum...moreDuring last week's "Anything that Floats" boat race, the Bluefish campers found a tagged horseshoe crab. They...moreAn average of about 2.4%! Sea Star campers explored salinity levels of 3 different types of water today....moreHint: campers found many on the sandy beach today. Hint #2: you will see this animal on a...moreSummer may be ending but 475 campers will stay warm with memories of swimming in Long Island...moreEnvironmental sails aboard the Schooner SoundWaters have been a mainstay of our public education in the Stamford...moreEach spring, a dramatic scene unfolds on our beaches as horseshoe crabs make their way from the...moreSoundWaters presented Governor Dannel P. Malloy with the first Founder's Award to recognize his passion and commitment...moreThis Spring, Bridgeport students got outside over spring break to learn about Long Island Sound and their...moreEvery Stamford 8th grader is headed to the Mianus River during March and April, but it is...moreDo you know the meaning of brackish, regeneration, camouflage? Just ask any preschooler who participates in SoundWaters...moreA group of middle school students, when given the opportunity to select a community service project, decided...more